Breaking News

University of Texas Has Supreme Court at Odds Over Affirmative Action
Download PDF
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

diversity at University of Texas

Summary: An affirmative action policy at the University of Texas may get the cut if the U.S. Supreme Court determines that diversity is gained without it.

For the second time in just as many years, the U.S. Supreme Court is hearing arguments over the race-based admission policy in place at the University of Texas and other public universities. Affirmative action policies have been fought long and hard across the country has experts try to determine what importance diversity places in an educational setting.

  
What
Where


The conservative justices such as Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. want affirmative action in admissions removed since it is unnecessary and unconstitutional. As Roberts asked a university lawyer, “What unique perspective does a minority student bring to a physics class?” Affirmative action was used as a “temporary” measure to increase at the university but as Roberts once again pointed out, “When do you think your program will be done?”

The liberal justices such as Justice Sonia Sotomayor are fighting in defense of the policy, stating her own benefit from the policy when she was admitted to Princeton University.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy will most likely be the deciding vote in the matter. He expressed frustration that the university lawyers were unable to quantify the role race plays in shaping which students are admitted. The argument was the same one the court heard two years ago when they sent it back to a lower court to rule.

Get JD Journal in Your Mail

Subscribe to our FREE daily news alerts and get the latest updates on the most happening events in the legal, business, and celebrity world. You also get your daily dose of humor and entertainment!!




Texas has a state law that guarantees admission to the top 10 percent from each high school in the state. This guarantee is based solely on grades. This makes up roughly 75 percent of the admissions to the Austin campus with one-third being Latino or African American for the past few years. The argument has arisen over a supplemental program that accounts for the remaining 25 percent of admissions.

With no clear decision apparent after Wednesday’s latest arguments, Kennedy hinted that he might be in favor of sending the case back for a third time to a lower court.



Source: http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-court-affirmative-action-20151209-story.html

Photo: occupy.com



 

Interesting Legal Sites You May Like


BCG FEATURED JOB

Locations:

Keyword:



Search Now

Mid-level Litigation Attorney with motions experience

USA-WA-Seattle

Seattle office of our client seeks mid-level litigation attorney with 3-5 years of experience, inclu...

Apply Now

Environmental /Land Use Attorney with 2-3 years of experience

USA-CA-San Francisco

San Francisco office of our client seeks environmental /land use attorney with 2-3 years of experien...

Apply Now

Litigation Attorney with 2-5 years of insurance defense experience

USA-FL-Jacksonville

Jacksonville office of our client seeks litigation attorney with 2-5 years of previous insurance def...

Apply Now

Attorney with 5+ years of complex litigation experience

USA-MI-Detroit

Detroit office of our client seeks attorney with 5+ years of complex litigation experience. The cand...

Apply Now

RELEVANT JOBS

Legal Assistant / Receptionist

USA-IA-Ames

Legal Assistant / Receptionist. Pasley & Singer Law Firm seeks applicants who are professional, orga...

Apply now

Paralegal

USA-LA-Lake Charles

We are looking for a full time legal assistant with plaintiff personal injury litigation experience ...

Apply now

Severe Injury Attorney

USA-TX-Dallas

We will be interviewing for a new attorney.   If interested, please provide your resume and a c...

Apply now

Help Desk Analyst

USA-NY-White Plains

Jackson Lewis P.C. is an employment law firm that represents management exclusively in every aspect ...

Apply now

Most Popular

SEARCH IN ARCHIVE

To Top