Legal Technology News

Clovis People are Ancestors to Native Americans DNA Studies Show
Download PDF
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

A toddler that was buried 12,600 years ago in the southwestern part of Montana, had it’s remains tested and the DNA proves that, prehistoric Clovis People are the ancestors of American Indians, researchers said.

According to the journal, Nature, indigenous people in North and South America are 80 percent direct descendants of the child. The remaining 20 percent are related to the Clovis people as much as any other people on earth. For decades scientists believed that the Clovis people were European who used similar tools between 17,000 and 21,000 years ago.

  
What
Where


Jennifer Raff, a research fellow in anthropology at the University of Texas at Austin said, Today’s finding shows this notion “can no longer be treated as a credible alternative Clovis (or Native American) origins.”

The study showed that the native Clovis people were the first native people to secure themselves in the Americas, but they weren’t the first people on the continent. According to scientists, about 25,000 years ago, people started to arrive in America by way of a Siberian land bridge in the last ice age and the Clovis people began to emanate. They did not descend from Europeans, Asians, or Melanesians.

The mitochondrial DNA from the boy, inherited from his mother, belongs to one of the “founder” lineages carried by people crossing from Siberia. This sequence is very rare and is in present American Indians. His genome showed he is closely related to American Indians and more related to Siberians than Eurasian.

Get JD Journal in Your Mail

Subscribe to our FREE daily news alerts and get the latest updates on the most happening events in the legal, business, and celebrity world. You also get your daily dose of humor and entertainment!!




The study involved Montana tribes as consultants in the study. Native communities had a mistrust of archaeologists and anthropologists in the past but the effort to include them in the findings is a good way to bridge a new relationship between Native Americans and scientists. The local tribes were told of the discoveries and scientists consulted with the them to know how best to continue their research. The boy will be buried exactly where he was found in late spring or early summer.

Image Credit: Ancient-tides.com





 

Interesting Legal Sites You May Like


BCG FEATURED JOB

Locations:

Keyword:



Search Now

Employment Litigation Attorney with 5+ years of experience

USA-CA-Los Angeles

Los Angeles office is seeking a labor and employment litigation attorney with 5+ years of experience...

Apply Now

Capital Markets Staff Attorney with 6+ years of experience

USA-NY-New York City

New York City office is seeking a capital markets staff attorney with 6+ years of experience. Candid...

Apply Now

Attorney with 7-10 years of business litigation experience

USA-CA-Century City

Small to mid-size Century City law firm is seeking an attorney with 7 - 10 years of business litigat...

Apply Now

Trusts and Estates/Tax Attorney with 3+ years of experience

USA-NV-Las Vegas

Las Vegas office of our client seeks trusts and estates/tax attorney with 3+ years of experience. Th...

Apply Now

RELEVANT JOBS

Legal Assistant / Paralegal

USA-PA-York

The York office of Richard R. Reilly, Attorney at Law has an excellent opportunity for a legal secre...

Apply now

Legal Secretary / Assistant

USA-NY-Valhalla

Immediate opening for full time / part time experienced legal secretary in plaintiff\'s personal inj...

Apply now

PERSONAL INJURY PARALEGAL

USA-NY-Brooklyn

Brooklyn plaintiff’s personal injury firm seeks paralegal with 5+ years litigation experience ...

Apply now

Legal Assistant / Paralegal

USA-GA-Atlanta

We are seeking a self-motivated immigration paralegal to join us in a busy but collegial environment...

Apply now

Most Popular

SEARCH IN ARCHIVE

To Top