Summary: A man sues McDonald’s after instead of giving him a straw they gave him a juice dispenser valve that tore up his throat.
With an industry as ubiquitous as McDonald’s, that has locations just about everywhere they could squeeze one, that is also staffed by notoriously young, underpaid, inexperienced, people, otherwise prone to the same human errors we all are, mistakes are bound to happen. One of the latest hit a hefty German man – in the throat.
As Klaus Geier dug into his order from a San Fernando Valley McDonald’s last April 2012, and as TMZ first reported, juggling his food after ordering a chicken sandwich, fries, and large orange juice as he drove away from the drive through, he didn’t quite notice that it was no straw he was sucking on, but what he believes to be a 4” valve that properly belongs in the orange juice dispenser – and not in a customer’s mouth.
The dispenser, removed from its standard location in a juice dispenser, proved hazardous, as it fired like a spear, and, as his attorney Anthony Liberatore claims, lodged in his client’s throat.
When Klaus tore the valve out of his throat, he created a severe injury, leaving him with what he claims are two bad choices: to undergo a surgery which might cost him the permanent loss of his voice, or to live life as is, with a raspy voice and the constant buildup of mucus.
While McDonald’s has been subject to many law suits, from the famous case of the woman who burned herself on hot coffee, to every manner of frivolous matter of a client getting the wrong order, and so forth, this case means business, having taken the voice from its customer. It would be recommended he likewise go for the throat. It also reminds the rest of us that we should be careful when trying to drive and eat our dinner at the same time.