Enter your email address and start getting breaking law firm and legal news right now!
Summer Associate Fun: 10 Funnest Law Firms
As interviewing for summer jobs takes place, many U.S. law students try to capture gigs and opportunities for the 8 to 10 weeks where they gain experience, take business cards, and network before their last year of law school. Business Insider says, “It’s pretty well known among lawyers that summer associates don’t end up doing a ton of work. They do go to a lot of parties,” however.
A former associate a big New York firm noted that she gained 10 pounds after being wined and courted by the firm with “Cocktail parties and firm-sponsored dinners. It was kind of an exhausting social calendar,” she commented. Another associate said that the attorneys at the firms enjoy partying and the cocktail parties.
Careers’ site, Vault, surveyed law firm associates who participated in summer associate programs, and found out which were the most fun. The surveys polled show the top ten funnest firms below.
1) Kasowitz, Benson, Torres, & Friedman LLP. The firm itself says it aims at a good work-life balance. Summer events included an “art tour” followed by dinner with real artists, a Yankees game, and an eve at New York’s oldest beer garden.
2) Shook, Hardy, & Bacon LLP. Summer associates have sports and cultural events and eat their dinners in partners’ homes. The firm desires associates with a good sense of humor.
3) Irell & Manella LLP. Summer associates enjoy fun events and getaways like their weekend in Catalina and Newport Beach resort moonlit evenings.
4) Troutman Sanders LLP. Summer associates have an “abundant” mix of social events. The entire firm also retreats to a beach resort annually.
5) Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP. Summer associates here have weekend golf and spa retreats in the Rockies. There were so many parties to attend that one summer associate asked for less partying and more work across the program. He was an outlier.
6) Linklaters LLP. Summer associates here go on trips to London for a cup of high tea.
7) Ropes & Gray LLP. Summer associates at this firm enjoy cooking classes, baseball games, trips to museums and scavenger hunts.
8) Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom LLP. Summer associates enjoy “social outlets” to build relationships with lawyers there. Associates have seen the Rolling Stones, or have gone to the MOMA for a dose of modern art.
9) Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP. Summer associates go sailing around New York City, enjoy cocktail parties, or Shakespeare in Central Park.
10) Haynes & Boone LLP. “You’ll have fun!” the firm promises. Summer associates there get to enjoy parties, go to dinner and watch their favorite sports live.