Law Students

Yale Law School Releases Report on Students’ Mental Health
Download PDF
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...

yale law school, law school news, mental health

Summary: Yale Law School released the findings of a mental health survey sent to the entire student body at the law school. 

A new report from Yale Law School has found that 70 percent of law school students at Yale struggled with mental health issues during their law school careers, according to The Yale Daily News.

  
What
Where


The students were surveyed as part of the school’s Mental Health Alliance survey.

The report was released on Monday and is the first to be released by the school of its kind. It is titled “Falling Through the Cracks.” An electronic survey was sent to all of the students at Yale Law School, of which there are some 650 students. There were 296 students who responded.

Of the 296 respondents, 50 percent of them said that mental health challenges hurt their ability to perform well in the classroom. Fifty-six percent of respondents said that the issues also affected their social lives.

Get JD Journal in Your Mail

Subscribe to our FREE daily news alerts and get the latest updates on the most happening events in the legal, business, and celebrity world. You also get your daily dose of humor and entertainment!!




To read more about Yale Law School, click here.

There were 82 students who sought treatment for their mental health problems, with one-quarter of them seeking help from professionals off-campus.



Jessie Agatstein, who is a member of the Mental Health Alliance and an author of the report, said, “One of our major goals is communicating a pretty simple message in the law school, which is that it’s normal for students to have mental health challenges while at YLS, and YLS provides woefully inadequate coverage for these problems, which are so common.”

Of the 296 students who responded, just 77 percent of them who suffered from mental health issues considered getting treatment. Of the 77 percent, 62 percent of them actually sought out treatment. The remaining 38 percent said they did not seek treatment because they did not trust the Yale Health Services confidentiality policies.

The report also found that students feared talking about mental health issues because if they did so, it would cause exclusion from administrators, faculty, peers and state bar associations.

The law school released the report on Monday at an event in a lecture hall. Some 100 law students were in attendance. They shared experiences with slow wait times and unclear policies for consultations when looking for treatment. They also spoke of negative experiences with Yale Health.

To read more law school news stories, click here.

Students also talked about not knowing how many mental health visits that are eligible for each year on the Yale Health plan.

“The 12 therapy visits per year policy is not public,” Agatstein said. “I should know that before I sign up for therapy.”

Matthew Kemp is a law student who also worked on the report. Kemp said, “One of the most shocking things is that well over half of the students have had a mental health issue and so many people have sought treatment but nobody talks about it, even among close friends. Once a bunch of people who seem super normal and cool and fun talk about it I think it would be a lot easier for [other] students.”

Will changes at Yale Law School come from this report? Use our poll to share your thoughts.

Will changes be made at Yale?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Image credit: Yale Law School



 

Interesting Legal Sites You May Like


BCG FEATURED JOB

Locations:

Keyword:



Search Now

Mid-level Litigation Attorney

USA-CA-San Francisco

San Francisco office is seeking a mid-level litigation attorney with experience taking/defending dep...

Apply Now

Trust and Estate Attorney

USA-NY-New York City

Boutique trust and estate firm is seeking an attorney with 7+ years of experience. Candidate should ...

Apply Now

Mid-level Litigation Attorney

USA-CA-San Francisco

San Francisco office is seeking a support attorney with some experience/familiarity with a litigatio...

Apply Now

In House Counsel with Transactional Energy Experience

USA-NY-New York City

New York City company is seeking an in house counsel with knowledge of the oil / energy industry. Ca...

Apply Now

RELEVANT JOBS

Litigation paralegal

USA-TX-Dallas

We are looking to immediately hire a responsible, highly organized, self-motivated litigation parale...

Apply now

Attorney

USA-TX-Dallas

Associate Attorney – 7 to 10 Years’ Experience - Dallas/Fort Worth   ...

Apply now

Associate Attorney

USA-TX-Dallas

Associate Attorney – 3 to 5 Years’ Experience - Dallas/Fort Worth   ...

Apply now

Litigation Attorney

USA-TX-Dallas

Litigation Attorney   Dallas, TX One of Texas\' largest Personal Injury Law Firms se...

Apply now

SEARCH IN ARCHIVE

To Top