The lawsuit brought against Matthew Fox has fizzled out, though it’s entirely ambiguous whether justice has been served. Heather Bormann, a 29-year-old charter bus driver, had charged the Lost television star with assault regarding an incident in August of 2011 when Fox allegedly attempted to board her bus drunk, and when barred by Bormann, attacked her, punching her breast and vagina. Bormann has withdrawn her suit upon being faced with Fox’s countersuit that she was defaming him on trumped up charges. Said Bormann’s lawyer:
“I told her Fox’s attorneys filed a serious counterclaim. I told her it would be very costly to defend her against their counterclaim. She decided as a single mother with three children that she couldn’t afford it.”
Not that her attorney was sticking around anyway. He had withdrew from the case in April saying that Bormann “intentionally failed and refused to provide full and timely cooperation and information,” not to mention failing to pay his out-of-pocket expenses as they had previously stipulated.
Fox’s attorney, Ian Friedman, was quick to claim a moral victory based on Bormann’s dropping of the charges: “Today’s dismissal validates our contention from day one that the original accusations were entirely baseless. We are all glad that the truth has surfaced, and Ms. Bormann’s dismissal of all claims brings this case to an end.”
But has the “truth surfaced”? Consider some other truths that have surfaced. Fox’s “Lost” co-star, Dominic Monaghan, has recently claimed that Fox “often” beats women, though of course, those close to Fox deny the claims. Nevertheless, Fox is due in court June 17 after being charged with drunken driving last month.
Whether Bormann’s dropped charges, which were dropped with prejudice, and can’t be raised again, have let the “truth surface,” or whether they express the practical reality of a poor bus driver faced with an expensive counter suit from a rich celebrity remains hard to determine.