Enter your email address and start getting breaking law firm and legal news right now!
|1,000,000 + Attorneys and Legal Staff - Legal employers hire more people on LawCrossing than any other site.|
More Cases of Pets High on Marijuana
It has been reported that, veterinarians are asking pet owners to pay more attention to what their animals are getting into because they are seeing many more cases of pets ingesting marijuana.
KCTV reports that the increase in marijuana treatments for pets “directly coincides” with the opening of medical marijuana dispensaries in the state of Arizona, starting in December 2012. According to ABC News, vets in Colorado have been reporting the same problem. The Daily News reported that, since medical marijuana was legalized in 2000, the number of dogs sickened by marijuana has quadrupled in the state of Colorado, according to one reported study.
A vet at the Emergency Animal Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona, Dr. Billy Griswold warns that, pet owners should be more worried if their animal gets into a stash of synthetic marijuana.
Billy Griswold shared that “We have seen a couple fatalities with [synthetic marijuana],” according to the Huffington Post Griswold said that “There are more serious side effects and longer treatments associated with that.” Research on the safety of synthetic cannabis is now becoming available. Initial studies are focused on the role of synthetic cannabis in psychosis. Some studies suggest that synthetic cannabinoid intoxication is associated with acute psychosis, worsening of previously stable psychotic disorders, and it may trigger a chronic psychotic disorder among vulnerable individuals such as those with a family history of mental illness.
CBS 5 Arizona reported that, veterinarians estimate there are already twice as many animals getting treated for marijuana ingestion this year than there were in 2013. The natural stuff isn’t toxic to animals. According to Dr. Griswold, the recently legalized medical product is not toxic to animals, but it can give them an upset stomach and other minor side effects.
According to the Animal Critical Care and Emergency Services clinic in Renton, Wash., which has reported an increase in such cases since recreational marijuana use became legal; treatment can include inducing vomiting or giving the dog activated charcoal to soak up toxins, for dogs that have overdosed on cannabis.
It is not advisable to give your dog marijuana since it may get dizzy, heave, urinate involuntarily and some dogs may even die, although fatalities from pets consuming marijuana are possible but rare. The Huffington Post reports that, Dr. Billy Griswold warns that “it’s high time you hide your stash.”
Image Credit: www.dailymail.co.ukMore Cases of Pets High on Marijuana by Jaan