Monster Beverage has been sued in the death of a 14-year-old girl from Maryland. The company is fighting the lawsuit, saying that a blood test was not performed to determine if she died from ‘caffeine toxicity,’ according to the Associated Press.
The lawsuit was filed in 2012 by the family of Anais Fournier, claiming that she went into cardiac arrest after she drank two, 24-ounce cans of Monster drinks in a period of 24 hours.
The lawyer for Monster, Daniel Callahan, said that the company has hired a team of doctors to review the medical records. He said the records suggest that Fournier died of natural causes from her pre-existing heart conditions. On the autopsy report, the official cause of death was listed as “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity complicating mitral valve regurgitation in the setting of Ehler’s-Danlos syndrome,” which is a heart condition.
The attorney for the family, Kevin Goldberg, noted that the absence of a test for caffeine “doesn’t tell us anything. In America, a jury of our peers determines justice. Not doctors paid by billion-dollar corporations to attend press conferences,” he wrote.
The labels on Monster’s cans say that the drinks are not for pregnant women or children. Goldberg noted that the company markets its products to teens and young adults, making it “ambiguous and intentionally misleading.”
Monster also said evidence found during the discovery process shows that Fournier routinely had energy drinks and visited Starbucks with no incidents occurring.