Enter your email address and start getting breaking law firm and legal news right now!
VIDEO: Rare WWII Film Directed By John Ford
Hollywood director John Ford, famous for such Westerns as Stagecoach, and The Searchers, as well as his adaptation of The Grapes of Wrath, also directed this rare World War II film. It depicts American troops as they crack the Japanese code and are able to anticipate another sneak attack, and this after Pearl Harbor. The men of Midway prepared for Japanese attack, tensely waiting for the inevitable. 108 Japanese planes descend upon the island, and we watch the battle in all its devastating violence, but they failed to destroy it in their first attempt. On June 4th, the Japanese carrier Task Force was pinpointed, so the U.S. could make a counterattack. Planes from the U.S. carrier York Town approach Japan’s four carriers, and in a five minute period, they took out three of their carriers, and after a mortal blow had been dealt to the American carrier York Town, the Japanese’s fourth carrier was destroyed.
A Japanese official said, “At Midway, the American avenged Pearl Harbor.” It marked a turning point in World War II in the Pacific.
Commander John Ford, USNR, was serving in the United States Navy at the time and was head of the photographic unit for the Office of Strategic Services. He won an academy award for this 1942 film, The Battle Of Midway, and was himself wounded by shrapnel in the arm during the attack.
Get JD Journal in Your Mail
Subscribe to our FREE daily news alerts and get the latest updates on the most happening events in the legal, business, and celebrity world. You also get your daily dose of humor and entertainment!!
- VIDEO: The Atlantic Road, Most Scenic in the World
- Japanese Mayor Justifies Military Rape of Sex Slaves
- VIDEO: Transformer Apartment is 6 Rooms in 1
- VIDEO: Tennessee Fraternity Orchestrates On-Campus Press Conference to Deny ButtChugging
- VIDEO: College Humor Delivers PSA: Gay Men Will Marry Your Girlfriend
- bobgt on Texas Teen Gets 10 Years Probation for Drunk Driving, Kills 4
- rsteeb on Sacramento Appeals Court Rules No Constitutional Right to Grow Marijuana
- Sara Reed on Pill to Treat Low Sexual Desire in Women Rejected by U.S. Regulators
- Cali Norml on Sacramento Appeals Court Rules No Constitutional Right to Grow Marijuana
- JonChris on Woman Arrested For Having Sex with Her Pit Bull in Broad Daylight