On Monday, one of the stars of the television show, “Storage Wars,” Mark Balelo, killed himself using carbon monoxide poisoning. He was discovered dead in his vehicle, according to the Ventura County medical examiner’s office. His car was parked at his Simi Valley, California, auction house, according to ABC News.
The auctioneer, known as “Rico Suave” on the show, which airs on A&E, was reportedly arrested on Saturday. He was arrested for allegedly being under the influence of a controlled substance and possession of methamphetamine, according to Sgt. Craig Dungan of the Simi Valley Police Department.
Dungan noted that when authorities responded on Monday, Balelo was not breathing. The cause of death has been listed as asphyxia by inhalation of carbon monoxide and exhaust fumes, according to the medical examiner.
Balelo conducted an interview with RadarOnline two months ago in which he admitted to a drug conviction back in 2009. He claims he had been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
“Friends of mine were using a hotel room that was rented in my room. They were partying in there I didn’t do anything wrong. I wasn’t even there. It’s not a big deal,” he said.
Fiance Elizabeth Metzidis supported his claims, saying, “I want people to know that Mark has a heart of gold.”