A major terrorist scheme in Afghanistan has been thwarted, Tuesday, upon the discover of 11 suicide vests in sheds outside the parking lot of Afghanistan’s Military of Defense in Kabul. 16 have so far been arrested.
The vests seem to be key impliments of a plot for bombers to ride eleven buses leaving the Ministry, leading to a synchronized set of bombings intended to kill all the personell on each bus.
The Afghan government has so for denied there was any such plot, though the Ministry was on lock-down for two hours Tuesday.
It is unclear who is behind the plot. Just yesterday, three NATO officers were killed by gunmen who had relations with Afghan security forces. General John Allen, the top US and ISAF commander, believes that attack might be revenge for the seventeen Afgans killed by a berzerk American soldier earlier this month.
“The Taliban has had as an objective for some time … to infiltrate the ISAF ranks,” Allen said. “Revenge is an important dimension in this culture.”
Nevertheless, Zabiullah Mujahid, a spokesman for the Taliban insurgents, claimed to be unaware of any attempted attack of Defense Ministry. There is some speculation that the plot may have been created by disaffected soldiers.
“You have to be cautious when you come here. It is not safe here,” said an officer, who asked to remain anonymous. The plotters “have links inside the ministry. Otherwise, they could not enter such a highly secured place.”