Denver TV anchor Kyle Dyer was bitten on her lip by a dog rescued from freezing water by the West Metro Fire Protection District. The Argentino Dogo named “Gladiator Maximus,” “Max” for short attended the studio with the firefighter Tyler Sugaski, who rescued it that morning.
Kyle Dyer had to undergo reconstructive surgery to repair the injuries.
The firefighter who was in the studio when it happened was stunned. According to him, during the rescue, the dog was intelligent enough to recognize that Sugaski was there to help him and swam directly to him. After being treated for hypothermia, Max was released to the owner. Max and Sugaski were brought together on the TV show to highlight the animal rescue.
Sugaski said there was nothing in the dog’s behavior prior to the incident to raise any concerns. Apparently Dyer was bitten as she “tried to kiss/snuggle with the dog,” according to the animal control report.
Max would be quarantined for 10 days and watched before being released back to its owner, Robinson, who was not available for comments.
The hospital treating the anchor has released a statement mentioning “Kyle is concerned about the viewers who may have been watching the interview and wants everyone to know she is okay.”
All in all, it seems that Kyle was saved from a much larger incident, as the dog’s breed is large, weighing on average from 80 to 120 pounds and traditionally used to hunt big game including pumas.
Such an incident is rare, and more so on a morning 9News Show with participants being shocked with the incident. Kyle, who is at Denver Health Medical Center, is visited by her family.
Kyle has been evaluated by a trauma team and has been declared to be safe and sound.