Casey Anthony appeared at a court hearing on Friday, denying that she was aware of the search parties that were investigating the disappearance of her daughter Caylee from September to October of 2008. Anthony answered two questions brought in a lawsuit against her by the volunteer organization Texas EquuSearch on Friday during her court appearance.
Tim Miller, the director for EquuSearch, said that Anthony not only denied knowing about the search but she also admitted that she did not witness her father call police to tell them about the discovery of Caylee’s drowning in the family swimming pool.
Anthony’s right against self-incrimination has been allowed by Judge Lisa Munyon, which keeps her from answering certain questions, because Anthony is still in the process of appealing a conviction of lying to police. After Caylee first went missing, Casey told police that her daughter had been kidnapped. During the trial, her lawyer said that Caylee drowned in a swimming pool.
The attorneys for Anthony have been fighting to keep her from answering any questions until her appeal is resolved.
Miller has said that even though Anthony made denials about the search, she really did know what EquuSearch was doing in an effort to find her daughter. The organization spent over $110,000 on two multi-day searches for Caylee.
“Of course she knew… she got our business card when we walked in the door,” Miller said.
The claims issued by Anthony about Caylee created one of the largest missing person’s search in United States history.